So many times on the homestead projects are born from necessity. When we want to plant a new crop, or raise a new animal, there is always an investment to make. Sometimes its as simple as a trellis for beans, other times its an 8’x8′ turkey coop. This project was born several months ago when we were at the feed store. There were chick order forms laying on the checkout counter. We took a quick look and to our surprise they also offered turkey poults. (baby turkeys)
We had been interested in trying to raise our own turkeys for the the holidays, but shipping was always an issue, so this was a golden opportunity for us. We did some research after placing the order and found out that the turkeys would need a separate area because disease can be passed from chickens to turkeys.
When we began designing our turkey’s coop, we decided to make it a more generic structure that could also be used for other purposes, just in case the turkey rearing didn’t work out. We also wanted it to fit our homestead and look good. We designed it to match our chicken coop.
We finally decided on an 8’x8′ structure, which would allow us to use it as storage in the off season, or maybe a small barn for a couple of sheep. Since we chose the same roof design and materials as the chicken coop, our next stop was Porosky Lumber.
My good friend Scott is a purveyor of both fine hardwood and beautiful rough cut hemlock. He also makes beautiful cutting boards, wood art, and is one of the best conversationalists you will ever meet.
Scott loaded us up with some of the most gorgeous 12″ boards and 3″ battens you have ever seen. These will be used for the exterior of our coop. It also has some natural rot resistance which was a bonus.
We began by framing the floor from 2″x4″s and used some pressure treated for runners that would contact the ground and would also allow us to move the coop if necessary. After squaring the frame up by measuring diagonally from corner to corner we added 3/4 inch cdx plywood for the floor.
We framed the walls adding openings for doors and windows. After this we mocked up our rafters.
We then cut all of our rafters and made the frame for the roof. We installed the corner boards on the frame to stiffen the structure before we climbed onto the roof, which we covered in 1/2″ cdx plywood. We also framed in the gable ends and added framing for vents on both sides.
We then covered the structure with those beautiful 12″ boards
Next we installed the soffits and capped the fascia, and installed the metal roofing. We also had an unexpected guest. (Take a look at the upper window/vent)
The next step was to cap and trim the windows, and install 1/2 inch hardware cloth into the windows and vents to keep out predators. Finally, we installed the battens ripped them down to 2″ for aesthetic purposes.
The last thing to do was build the doors. We used the same hemlock boards so that everything matched nicely.
We now had a great looking addition to the homestead. This building is versatile, and is built with quality materials that should last for decades. We can’t wait for our little turkeys to move in. They say that “necessity is the mother of invention”, and that is certainly the case on the homestead. Over and over we take on new projects that not only make us use our bodies, but also challenge our mind. Innovation is still alive and well on the homestead, and every time we take on a new challenge, we are rewarded with a feeling of satisfaction that we can’t find on a screen.